Monday, April 8, 2013

St. Patty's Day

Sunday, March 17th came around with no big fanfare from our household. At our Sunday family dinner that evening someone said, "Happy St. Patrick's Day!" and I replied, "Oh, yeah, it IS St. Patrick's Day...happy day...am I wearing green? No, I guess not...please don't pinch me." And that was it.
  
And then Monday, March 18th came around, and Facebook was full of all the fun things that happened at OTHER people's houses on St. Patrick's Day...green food, elfish footprints, gold coins. I HAD picked up a tiny bag of gold coins for $.88 the week previous, thinking that surely I could think of something to do with them that would make St. Patrick's Day festive for Sullivan. But I had forgotten all about the day, let alone the coins!? That morning I quickly perused pinterest to see what fun, easy things I could possibly whip for that evening. And then I decided that pinterest people had way too much time on their hands. Everything was much too complicated and involved for my slackerness. So I tabled the idea of doing anything and resolved that maybe next year I'd be better prepared. Sullivan was too little to know he was missing out on anything anyway.

But then during nap time I got a wild hair and put together a ghetto scavenger hunt for Sullivan to find the gold coins. I had to do something with those coins, right!? Start with a gold coin...send him to his shoe where he'll find another gold coin...send him to his toy box where he'll find another gold coin. Easy peasy. It was ghetto-fabulous and he totally loved it. And then I was feeling really ambitious and decided that food coloring wouldn't be terribly difficult to add to some pancakes and eggs, so that was our dinner menu. Eric came home and was BLOWN away with how awesome it was to be eating green pancakes and green eggs...especially since I had added some canadian bacon, making it "green eggs and ham" (thank you for the inspiration Leonora!). Sullivan loved the pancakes, but wouldn't touch the eggs...surprise, surprise!?

Long story short, a little green food coloring and some $.88 gold coins took me farther than I ever thought possible...even if it was a day late.


1 comment:

Leonora said...

You crack me up! Looks like a pretty awesome St. Patty's day celebration to me. :) And I'm giving all credit for the green eggs to Erik, which even he didn't eat very many of - and he cooked them!