Monday, April 15, 2013

San Francisco - Day Two - Golden Gate and China Town

We decided to spend our first full day in San Francisco being full-on tourists, and doing one of the infamous hop-on hop-off tour bus tours. The tour took us through all the most exciting parts of the city...Union Station, Timberline, Civic Centre, Haight Ashbury, through Golden Gate Park, and finally to the infamous Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge was awesome. If it hadn't been so windy, we would have liked to walk across it, but we were under-dressed for the chilly weather, and Eliza was a little on the grumpy side. But next time, I'm definitely renting a bike and biking across that thing. 


After enjoying the views of the Golden Gate Bridge, we hopped back on our bus, made our way back into the city, and jumped off at China Town for some lunch. It was such an amazing place and we ate the best Chinese food I've ever had. No lie. No exaggeration.


While the Chinese Food was to die for, we definitely had a lot of other good eats while in San Francisco as well...

After China Town we hopped a ride on the infamous trolley back to our Fisherman's Wharf location. The trolley driver told me to "go ahead and remove your parachute," when I hopped on board, referring to my giant backpack full of diaper bag items. I about died laughing. It certainly was big enough to be a parachute. I had hear the trolley drivers were hilarious...they did not disappoint!
 

Once back at the hotel, the kids and I took our afternoon naps, and then we geared up for a night tour of the city. We arrived 30 minutes early in order to get the good seats on the top level at the front on the bus, where a giant windshield would provide some protection from the wind for the kids, but my mom and I still ended up about getting into a fist fight with three foreign college-aged girls who showed up five minutes in advance and wanted those same seats. It was ridiculous. And comical. But it all worked out. We got two, they got two. And Sullivan was in heaven in those sits, sitting on grannie's lap, yelling at the traffic lights to change colors for two hours. And the city was beautiful by twilight. Once the tour finally ended at 8pm, we grabbed some quick takeout from Fisherman's Wharf and headed back to the hotel, where we had a crab feast...crab chowder, crab salad sandwiches, and crab cakes. It was delicious and the perfect end to our touristy day. 

No comments: