Monday, June 16, 2014

Anniversary Weekend

This year was Eric and I's eighth wedding anniversary. Since I had just been to Seattle and had an exotic cruise planned for the end of May, we kept our anniversary fairly low-key, but we still wanted to do something special. I had 80,000 IHG points from singing up for this credit card when it had offered an 80k point promotion (it's currently only 60k), and spending $1000 of living expenses on it. We decided to use 30,000 points (15k/night), and spend two nights and two days playing and hoteling it in Salt Lake City. Not especially exotic, but when you have kids, any time alone and away from the kids is exotic, no matter how far or close to home you are, am I right!? :)
 
Since our hotel accommodations at the Holiday Inn cost us $0, I figured we could finally splurge and experience the infamous anniversary culinary destination...The Melting Pot. I had eaten there years ago for a work dinner, and had always wanted to take Eric, but could never justify the $100/couple price (yeah, not cheap!). Eric was pretty skeptical about it at first...after perusing the menu he was certain he didn't want the cheese fondue, salad, or dessert fondue...just the meat. I told him to humor me and just try it all, for the full experience, if nothing else. By the time we were licking our dessert pot clean, Eric was converted. He loved it...all of it! As did I, of course. Amazing food, great ambiance, and great conversations with my favorite person in the world...so blessed to have married him 8 short years ago!   
 
 
 Saturday was spent shopping, going to movies, and finally hitting up the infamous Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point. Tulips are my all-time favorite flower. Every year I want to go and see the gardens, and every year I miss it. So this year we made it happen. And it was amazing! The gardens and paths and flowers were to die for. We had wanted to rent Segways to explore the gardens, but by late afternoon the Segways had been depleted of their batteries and were no longer in service...total bummer! So, while I would have opted to walk, Eric couldn't resist renting a golf cart instead. And I must admit, it was pretty fun to zip around the gardens in it. We had a great time.
 
 
On Sunday morning we slept in, enjoyed the hotel's continental breakfast, then headed back to our cute kids who were staying with Grandma Stacie. It was a great weekend with lots a fun memories with my one and only. I'm such a lucky girl.

1 comment:

Holly June said...

LOVE the Melting Pot!!! MMM!!! Happy Anniversary you two! :)