Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cancun - The Final Verdict

On Thursday, day six, we packed up our things, said goodbye to the Grand Oasis forever (we won't be going back there), and headed home. I was ready. While I knew Sullivan was perfectly fine in the care of his doting grandmas, I missed my little boy. I had certainly appreciated the simple pleasures his company doesn't often provide, like eating a full meal in peace, or laying on the beach without playing lifeguard, but I still missed his little face terribly. Going home to him made leaving paradise a lot easier.


So, the final verdict on our cruising vs. all-inclusive test-run? We unanimously agreed that we both prefer cruising 100% over all-inclusives, and below is a little list of the reasons why...

  • The food. We are used to cruising with Carnival, which is the bottom of the barrel as far as cruise food is concerned (Royal Caribbean and Holland America have better food, in our opinion), but we would have taken Carnival food any day over what was offered at the Grand Oasis. And one of the reasons we chose to stay at Grand Oasis was because everyone raved about the food on tripadvisor.com, which I do not understand!?   
  • The rooms. The rooms might be tiny on a ship, but they're all clean and they're all equally nice. I realize that our hotel's heirarchy system of issuing renovated rooms vs non-renovated rooms is probably not the norm, however, when you book a room on a cruise-ship, you know exactly what to expect. And if you have a problem with you room, you can be sure it will be remedied asap. 
  • The customer service. On a cruise ship each employee is a customer service pro and will do anything at all to make you happy. Not so much in Mexico. 
  • Ship days...aka mandatory rest days when you have no choice but to sleep in, eat food, and do nothing at all. At the all-inclusive we kept ourselves pretty busy, wanting to take advantage of everything Cancun had to offer in the little time we were there. We did allot one day to nothing-ness, but we should have allotted at least two. :)
  • The price. We spent $2000 for 5 days at an all-inclusive with flights included. For that same price we could have spent 7 days on a ship with flights included.  
The only advantage I can think of to all-inclusives is the cultural experience. On cruises you merely dip your toe into a new culture each day, while actually staying put in one place for a few days gives you a chance for total immersion. A chance to ride the local bus system and miss your stop and get lost in the ghetto. A chance to go to the Sunday night fiesta and fill yourself full of churros and tacos. And stuff like that is pretty fun. But I still prefer a cruise ship.

4 comments:

Taffy and Tony said...

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the resort vs. cruise debate. I still may do a resort in that area someday since Tony and I would really like to spend a few days in Mexico looking at ruins, which is hard to have time for on a cruise. But other than that, we may be happy to keep on cruisin'!

STRATTON FAMILY said...

We loved cancun but we didn't do an all inclusive and were glad. But it is a culture shock to not be able to understand what there saying. Sorry you didn't have that much fun. Maybe next time.

Ellis family said...

So bummed it wasn't all that great for you! There are for sure advantages to cruising, and to staying all inclusive. Gran Melia next time right?! Let's go on a trip together next time sister!

Melissa said...

Interesting to hear your comparisons. I've been on one cruise, but won't return unless its a huge family (like my sisters and brothers) as I thought it was a little boring overall. I have never even looked into an all inclusive, and probably now will never be tempted. James and I are more one of those- fill up every days, stay in the middle of the crazy, crowded city and see everything you can type of travelers that come home more tired than when you left from trying to cram it all in. I guess maybe we're that way because we have our fill of beaches and relaxation in regular life! We're actually trying to really figure out where to go on our ten year anniversary trip since going someplace tropical isn't really appealing anymore. Good dilemna to have, I guess.