Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Festivities

I never really understood how children accumulated SO many toys and books. Did parents really keep buying tons of toys for their kids to play with when they already had so many? And don't people use libraries anymore? I swear, most people who have children could open their own toy store and book store. Well, I've discovered something new over the holidays. It turns out that parents don't buy all those toys and books for their kids...the grandparents's and aunts and uncles do!

Sullivan got pretty spoiled this Christmas, and it wasn't by us. I just wrapped up some toys that he hadn't played with yet (which we actually got as baby gifts almost a year ago!?), and I bought him two cute books from a thrift store, and that was it. He had no idea what is going on, and could certainly care less about how many gifts he received at Christmas. So, we went cheap. And easy. But those grandparents?? Whoa baby! We are well on our way to owning our very own toy store and bookstore. And Sullivan is loving all his new toys and books. Although he absolutely hates the two board books I purchased for him..."You Are Special" and "On the Night You Were Born." Whenever I bring them out to read to him, he promptly shoves them aside and reaches and whines for one of the books that grandma McComber got him. I can't blame him. He got touchy-feely books from grandma, and they are pretty cool. He is in love with them.

Sullivan had the time of his life in Cokeville, having all his cousins and aunts and uncles dote on him hand and foot. He was never without someone in his face... playing with him, holding him, teasing him, loving him, squeezing him. He was definitely the life of the party. And speaking of party, we had quite the Christmas party in Cokeville this year. We played our own version of taboo on Christmas Eve, where we all got a good laugh out of Mom's theatrics, Dad's sly ways of cheating (good thing he was on my team!), the spelling of Machu Picchu (Matsupika!?), and the discovery of who actually knew (or didn't know!?) who our current vice president is (Joe Bidin!). Good memories indeed. And the food was epic...make-your-own pizza's for Christmas Eve, Belgian waffles with ice cream for breakfast, and prime rib and twice-baked potatoes for Christmas dinner. It was gluttonous, and delicious, and we loved every minute of spending time with family.


No comments: